Construction Media Alliance Announces Winners of 2018 Editorial & Marketing Awards; First Ever Tudor Van Hampton Award for Editorial Excellence
June 19, 2018 - The Construction Media Alliance – a network of construction industry journalists, public relations professionals, marketers, publishers and social media contributors – announced the winners of its second annual editorial and marketing awards via a Facebook Live webcast on June 5th, 2018. The winners were chosen by a panel of industry peers based on criteria set forth by the group’s volunteer-led awards committee.
2018 Construction Media Alliance Editorial Award Winners:
- Best Column: “Tech Talk”, a monthly blog published by The Concrete Producer and Hanley Wood
- Best Editorial Feature: “How to Add 39 Tons of Steel to the Top of the Empire State Building” by Tom Sawyer, Engineering News-Record
- Best Editorial Series: Equipment World for its Series on the ELD Mandate, published in the summer of 2018, headlined by Tom Jackson and Don McCloud, and featuring contributions from additional Randall Reilly journalists
- Best Single Issue: Fall 2017 Issue of MultiFamily Design & Construction, a new publication focusing on the apartment and condominium residential construction industry from SGC Horizon
- Best Website: RoadsBridges.com
2018 Construction Media Alliance Marketing Award Winners:
- Best video: Hitachi to the Core, submitted by Hitachi – a video that served as the core piece of content for its “Hitachi to the Core” ConExpo booth theme and campaign, submitted by Mindfire Communications
- Best Social Media: Miller Electric Mfg. Co. and its Fusion 160 Paid Social Media Campaign, submitted by Two Rivers Marketing
- Best PR and Social Media Campaign: John Deere’s “Small Machines, Big Impact” campaign, submitted by Mindfire Communications
- Best Content Marketing: Doosan Infracore for its customer testimonial with both written and video elements, leveraged across both owned and earned media channels, submitted by Two Rivers Marketing
- Best Ad: Vermeer, for its Silver Series Drill Rod advertisement, submitted by Lessing Flynn
“Going into our second year of the CMA Awards, we received an exponentially larger number of entries,” says Bill Elverman, volunteer, Construction Media Alliance and owner/partner; vice president at PKA Marketing. “The quality of work submitted in this year’s entries is excellent, and as our awards program grows, the categories are getting more and more competitive. I’d also like to extend a special thanks to our judges for their time, effort and expertise.”
The Tudor Van Hampton Award for Editorial Excellence:
Scott Blair, managing editor of Engineering News-Record, was awarded with the first annual Tudor Van Hampton Award for Editorial Excellence.
A special award aimed at honoring a single journalist’s body of work over the previous 12 months, the Tudor Van Hampton Award for Editorial Excellence honors the memory of Tudor Van Hampton, a longtime industry journalist and managing editor with Engineering News-Record who passed away in February of 2017. All entry fees for this award are donated to charity in Van Hampton’s name.
This year, the CMA was able to donate $1,000.00 to the Indianapolis chapter of Habitat for Humanity.
“Tudor Van Hampton exhibited a dedication to his craft, a passion for his industry, and an unwavering desire to learn and understand as much about his subject as he could,” said Elverman during the announcement of the award in 2017. “He was a true journalist's journalist, and he left an indelible mark on his publication, Engineering News-Record, and our industry. Naming this award after him is the most obvious way of honoring his legacy and ensuring that his impact and friendships with those in our industry are always recognized.”